Database Administrator (DBA)
Vancouver, BC, Canada
TICit Hub seeks a Database Administrator to help design, implement, and maintain the databases that make up TICit Hub's computing infrastructure. You bring energy, a focus on collaboration and service, competence, creativity, and maturity to build and maintain a data architecture that will help the company grow and serve our customers effectively. You will be directly involved in developing and implementing IT standards, policies, and practices that support the goals and objectives of the Technical Operations team and of the company as a whole.
- Has a successful track record of database administration for previous organizations, Oracle (requirement) and MS-SQL (nice to have).
- Is an innovative and conceptual thinker who is creative in finding technical solutions to business problems.
- Is self-motivated, with good communication skills, and is capable of working independently and in collaborative team environments.
- Works hard and pursues excellence, while keeping great service in mind.
- Is highly organized, paying keen attention to detail.
- Demonstrates personal effectiveness within a business environment.
- Creates and maintains all databases required for development, testing and production usage.
- Performs capacity planning required to create and maintain databases. The DBA works closely with system administration staff because computers often have applications or tools on them in addition to databases.
- Performs ongoing tuning of the database instances.
- Install new versions of the RDBMS software and its tools and any other tools that access the database.
- Implements and enforces security for all databases.
- Puts standards in place to ensure that all application design and code is produced with proper integrity, security and performance. The DBA will perform reviews on the design and code frequently to ensure the site standards are being adhered to.
- Evaluates releases of database software and its tools, and third party products to ensure that the site is running the products that are most appropriate. Planning is also performed by the DBA, along with the application developers and System administrators, to ensure that any new product usage or release upgrade takes place with minimal impact.
- Provides technical support to application development teams. The DBA is usually the first point of contact for all database related issues.
- Creates, maintains, and enforces database constraints to ensure integrity of the database.
- Assists with impact analysis of any changes made to the database objects.
- Participates in the on-call, after-hours support schedule.
Required Skills & Experience (Need to Have)
- 3+ years experience as a Database Administrator (Oracle required, MS-SQL a plus).
- Demonstrably solid knowledge of operating systems, and a fundamental understanding of hardware with respect to database performance.
- Demonstrable experience and knowledge in migrating code, database changes and data through the various stages of the development life cycle.
Bonus Assets (Nice to Have)
- Experience with MS or Oracle Business Intelligence / Data Warehousing.
- Unix shell programming experience (extremely useful in any Unix environment).
This is a full time salaried position with benefits.
The Market We Serve
TICit Hub is a software and data service provider to the commodity trading industry. TICit Hub is the industry leading, global solution that standardizes and processes operational trading and supply information for over 4000 users across 50 different countries from energy majors such as: ExxonMobil, BP and Chevron.
The People We Want
TICit Hub continues to be a fast growing company with significant customer growth planned over the next few years. As such, the successful candidate will need to be able to raise the performance bar on an already successful team.
We seek brilliant, hardworking people who want to be part of a growing team and fun environment where leading edge technology and solutions are created and successfully commercialized. Every team member is empowered to learn, grow and share his or her knowledge and experience. Together, we are TRUE, BRILLIANT and we MAKE THINGS HAPPEN!
At TICit Hub, the overall well-being of our team is important. We believe in fostering a culture that supports and provides opportunities for personal and professional development so that we can collectively provide the best experience for our clients and teams. We are located near the Olympic Village, at the south end of False Creek, near Science world and the Main Street Skytrain station.
To join our team, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only successful candidates will be contacted.